Year 2 - Episode 24
The Dorcons -the most powerful race in the galaxy -demand that the Alphans hand Maya over to them. Koenig refuses, until Moonbase Alpha is savagely attacked and invaded! Then, having let them take Maya he makes a desperate attempt to save her....
- Shooting script titled The Return Of The Dorcons dated 19th October 1976
- Shooting script titled The Dorcons dated 17th November 1976
- Line amendments dated 30th November 1976 changes Sahn to Alibe and deletes Fraser
- Filmed in 7 December- 23 December 1976 (the clapperboard below is dated 14th December).
- The Dorcon probe and the Dorcon battleship were built by Martin Bower. The probe was built in 2 days. The battleship has jam labels on the domes to resemble a fly's compound eye. The underside of the domes were slide projector carousels split in half. The front and back parts were made from a teasmade.
- Dorcon ships model photos
- The brainstem comprises the medulla oblongata (regulating reflex activities including respiration and heart beat), the midbrain and the pons.
- Transplant surgery for immortality was also used in Mission Of The Darians. If you transplant part of the brain are you the same person? Fetal cells are used to regenerate damaged adult brains.
- Mesons. Koenig thinks they are faster than light, and they are a means to convert energy into matter and back again. Mesons are actually unstable elementary particles inbetween electrons and protons; they decay via lighter mesons and muons (heavy electrons) into electrons. They were first observed in cosmic rays. They are not faster than light
- The raw materials of the ship are: 'Carbon/ Hydrogen/ Argon/ Rebillum'. Carbon and hydrogen are the building blocks of organic chemicals. Argon is an inert gas. There is no such substance as Rebillum. Strangely there is no oxygen (for atmosphere) or any metals (iron, aluminium or titanium for the ship's structure).
2409 days after leaving Earth orbit (Tue 18 Apr 2006)
2 fatalities, Thompson, another pilot.
Four combat Eagles incl. Eagle 4 are destroyed
Ape-lizard animal, Alphan girl, dove (partial transformation).
Archon, Varda, Malic from planet Dorca
- The script direction for Malic: "A handsome, cruel faced youth, whose darting furtive eyes and nervous movements betray his disturbed state of mind. This is Malic, in appearance an alien Caligula." Caligula (Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, born A.D. 12, died A.D. 41, emperor A.D. 37-41, reportedly killed the previous emperor, Tiberius, and declared his will null and void on the grounds of insanity so that he would be sole heir. Among his more notorious later acts was making his horse a consul. His remark "Those about to live salute you!" is a reference to Suetonius in Life Of Claudius (c 120 AD): "Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant" (Hail, Emperor, those about to die salute thee", the salute of the gladiators before they fought to the death).
- Archon. "A frail, elderly aristocrat". "It is suggested that Archon should be pronounced as in 'March On' to avoid any confusion with the Mark Of Archarnon"(sic) The name Archon is also used in Voyager's Return. The name is from the Greek "archos", ruler. The Archon was the chief magistrate in Greek city states, c1000-683 BC. Athens had 3 annually elected Archons in a governing council, the most powerful being the Eponymous Archon.
The Archon's throne was used as Arra's throne in Collision Course and Companion's bed in The Infernal Machine. His chair is a design normally seen in Alphan living quarters (the ribbon chair, designed by by Pierre Paulin). On either side of the throne are obelisks previously seen in A Matter Of Balance and Devil's Planet
- Consul is the title of the two chief magistates in ancient Rome, the most powerful office in the republic, controlling the treasury, civil officials and army. In the French republic of 1799-1804, the 3 highest officials had the title Consul. The first Consul was Napoleon Bonaparte.
- The name Dorcon indicates the Dorian people who gave ancient Greece its strong military traditions (see also Mission Of The Darians).